It’s so easy to let your garage go. The rest of your house may be organized and orderly, but when it comes to your garage, everything gets piled up and left for later. Here are a few simple ways to get rid of the clutter and make your garage work for you, not against you.
1. Attach a magnetic tool holder to the wall. It’s like a magnetic knife holder in your kitchen, but it’s heavy duty enough to hold heavy tools.
2. Use a paper towel holder to keep all of your big garbage bags neatly on a roll.
3. Screws are like socks – they seem to get lost all the time and they’re never found again. Keep track of your stock by sorting them into jars and screwing the lids underneath a shelf. The jars will hold all of the screws, nuts, and bolts without taking up precious space.
4. Drill holes through a piece of wood and use it as a screwdriver holder.
5. Don’t get rid of your paint swatches – if you do, you’ll have a hard time matching the paint to your walls when it’s time for a touchup. Punch a hole through the swatches, put them onto a ring, and hang it from a hook in your garage to keep them easy to find and together.
6. Mount wire baskets on the wall to store any odds and ends you have lying around. Wire baskets are easy to mount, they’re cheap, and you’ll be able to see everything inside. The more items you get off the floor and onto the walls, the more space you’ll have in your garage.
7. Sports equipment, rakes, and shovels can get unwieldy. Keep them out of the way by gathering them into a tall storage box with different sections.
8. Use a hanging shoe rack to separate anything that you have a lot of – spray paint cans, cleats, gardening equipment, etc.
Whether you use your garage just for storage or you want to turn it into a bonafide workspace, you have to get it organized. Only then can you put a few garage workbenches around and get started on your “To Do” list and projects.