The harsh wintry weather is upon us, with temperatures recently dropping to -5°C in parts of central England earlier in November and drivers being warned that 15cm of snowfall is expected throughout the country.
Are you prepared for getting behind the wheel when the cold snap fully takes hold? Take this quiz put together by vehicle hire and lease specialists Northgate to find out — you might learn some valuable driving skills as you work your way through the questions.
1. What is the minimum tread depth allowed on a car in the UK according to law?
2. How should the water that you use to defrost your vehicle’s windows feel?
3. When setting off in the snow, what should your approach be?
A.Accelerate gently while using low revs
B.Accelerate gently while using high revs
C.Accelerate harshly while using low revs
D.Accelerate harshly while using high revs
4. When driving in snow, what is the advised amount of space that you should leave between your vehicle and the vehicle in front?
A.Five times the normal recommended gap
B.Ten times the normal recommended gap
C.Fifteen times the normal recommended gap
D.Twenty times the normal recommended gap
5. If you skid in the snow, should you steer into or out of the skid?